Whether you just completed your dental crown procedure, or are wondering what to expect before committing to the procedure, it’s important to have a complete understanding of what’s needed from you for proper dental crown aftercare. Crowns are meant to look and function like your natural teeth, so they also require the same oral hygiene routine and regular dentist appointments. If you have chosen to move forward with a dental crown that matches your smile, that material can still stain and chip the same way all of your other teeth do.
If you neglect your crown, it may not be as high-functioning or long lasting as it is meant to be. The average crown tends to last anywhere from 5 to 15 years, but you can extend the longevity of your new dental crown with proper care and attention. Below we have put together our top 5 tips to help you extend the lifespan of your crown through good dental crown aftercare:
- We shouldn’t have to put this one on the list, but the number one thing to maintain good oral health is brushing your teeth twice daily!
- You may experience more sensitivity to hot and/or cold sensations with your new dental crown than you did with your natural tooth. After your procedure could be a good time to switch to using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
- Continue to floss regularly! This will help to ensure that nothing gets stuck or builds up between your crown and your natural teeth.
- Try to avoid chewing hard foods like ice and candy. Biting down on a hard item could cause your crown to crack, especially if it is porcelain.
- If you have a history of grinding or clenching your teeth while you sleep, you should ask your dentist or hygienist for a night guard to protect your crown and its surrounding teeth.
If you experience any pain or discomfort after your dental crown procedure, please call our front desk immediately at 704-927-5499. Our team at Belvedere Family Dentistry is always here to help and to ensure your oral health remains in tip-top shape.