Spring has sprung, but unfortunately, so have seasonal allergies. A change in season means itchy eyes, sneezing, stuffy noses, and sinus headaches for those with allergies.
Below we have put together ways that seasonal allergies can affect your oral health, along with our top tips to help you reduce exposure and symptoms to allergens.
Dry Mouth – People who suffer from allergies often get stuffy noses and have to rely more heavily on mouth breathing. Having a dry mouth can be a major problem when it comes to your oral health. The dryer the mouth, the more prone you are to cavities, bad breath, and gingivitis. Saliva is a key component in the prevention of tooth decay.
Tooth Pain – If you are experiencing toothaches – mostly around your upper molars – this could be due to seasonal allergies. Sinus pressure builds up on the maxillary sinuses and pushes down on the roots of your upper molars, creating pain and discomfort.
Bad Breath – Post-nasal drip can result in bad breath and cause a sore throat and swollen tonsils. Post-nasal drip can become infected, which can cause a build-up of bacteria in your mouth. Swollen gums can make it difficult to brush effectively, also leading to bad breath.
Try these steps to help reduce your exposure and symptoms:
- Keep saliva flowing by drinking plenty of water and eating foods that require a lot of chewing, like apples, celery, and carrots.
- Swish with a warm salt-water rinse to relieve mucus buildup.
- See important allergy and weather information to help you plan ahead. Typically, pollen counts are highest between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. and again at dusk. Plan workouts and yard work at times of the day when pollen levels are low.
- Rinse your nasal passages with a saline solution to flush out mucus and allergens from your nose.
- As always, maintain good oral health by brushing and flossing as normal.
If you experience any pain or discomfort from seasonal allergies, please call our front desk at 704-927-5499 or submit a request for your desired appointment time and date through our easy online scheduler! Our team at Belvedere Family Dentistry is always here to help and to ensure your oral health remains in tip-top shape.